Thursday, September 24, 2020

Clothes Shopping Post - Fall/Winter 2020-2021

Fall dressing might be my favorite.  After wearing tank tops, shorts and sandals for much of the summer, it's fun to pull back out sweaters and boots and have layering as a viable option, without dying of heat stroke!  It's like having a whole new closet with the same underwear.  I even turn over my closet and dresser, making the clothes that are not as seasonally appropriate still reachable but not as easily accessed. 

We've had a nice string of weather lately where the days have been comfortable but the nights chilly.  I am HERE for weather that doesn't require heat OR AC and we are currently in that.  Even though I put our small space heater back in the bathroom now because it makes getting out of the shower so much more bearable.  And when Luke dresses for school, he can either dress for the 7:30am weather (45°-55°) or the 3pm weather (75°-80°).  Teachers don't really let the kids switch from pants to shorts mid-day, even though that's what Sam and I are often doing at home.  But fall is lovely and I really plan to enjoy the next month-ish of it before we lose all the leaves and it gets very cold!

I go through streaks and clothes shopping and not clothes shopping, I feel like I bought a lot this summer but that was largely underwear (not counted here because that's a genuine need) and A LOT of swimsuit options that mostly ended up returned!

Checking in on Spring/Summer 2020

 
I said when I wrote the spring post that I had already bought an Amazon and an Old Navy one and I ended up keeping the Amazon one.  I LOVE it.  I wore it so many times in the spring and was delighted to pull it out again in the fall.  It's not very heavy but perfect for 60°-70° spring/fall days.  I intend to get a green one soon too.  I will probably wear them multiple times a week this fall, until I need something thicker.
2) A sundress 
I didn't buy a sundress to wear to church but did buy A dress that I wore to church sooo...that counts.  I got this one at Target in the spring (ordering online, thank you) and the colors still work for fall, being teal and a deeper pink.  I call it my butterfly dress even though I think it has flowers on it and not butterflies.  

3) Fun Flats 
I did not buy these but would still like to!  Spring and Fall is when I mostly wear flats.  Summer, besides running, is almost all sandals.

4) Navy Blue Striped v or scooped neck short sleeved tee 
Bought this from ThredUp, thus fulfilling TWO items on this list but I am counting this here!
 


5) 2ish Tank Tops/T-shirts 
I bought these two from Old Navy (left, right) in June because I realized I was short some everyday type of tanks, ones I could wear with a regular bra and weren't see-thru.  Of course, maybe I realized that in April when I wrote this list and said I'd need 2ish tank tops.  I've worn these both A LOT this summer.  I looked at Old Navy to get more of the one on the left in different prints but all they had were white that looked too see-thru.
 

Yes, got this one from Target and now I am ready to properly celebrate my sons' (and maybe husband's) birthdays and/or wear to the theater when there is a new Star Wars movie.  And on May 4th, obviously.  The only time I've worn this one so far.  (This is from the kids' department, it fits and was cheaper than the adults!)

7) Something to use up ThredUp credit
I FINALLY did this!  I hadn't placed an order in over 18 months (I used to nearly monthly) and they kept sending me 35% off codes which I finally used.  I felt pressure to order a "perfect" box, with nothing I'd need to return because I didn't want more credit sitting there indefinitely.  Of the 7 items I bought (some of which are for fall), I'd probably return one but not worth it to get ~$7 back after restocking fee and then have more credit sitting there.  New with tags though so I might try selling to a second hand store in town?  I don't know.   But these are the two items that I'm keeping that count as summer-ish, even though I didn't get them until September.
 
Extra items:

Over last winter I managed just TWO extra items and this season I was up to three, although two parts of a swimsuit meant to be worn together barely count as two items.  And I almost called the dress a fall item anyways since I just got it and still haven't worn it.  Dress is from Old Navy, swimsuit top is Old Navy, and bottoms are Target.  I hadn't bought a new swimsuit in 4 years and spend a decent amount of time in them in the summer, especially this summer which was so hot.  I had a suit on every weekend we were at the lake until September!  


Fall 2020/Winter 2021 Plan 

 

1) Green Hoodie 
I plan to buy the green version of my coral one soon.  I hope the super cold weather holds off awhile still!
 
2) 2(ish) Sweaters
I wear sweaters A LOT in the winter and could use 2ish more everyday ones.  Crew neck, not too tight, not too baggy, probably in green, blue, or grey since those are the colors I wear most of the time. We spend a lot of time at home in the cold months, pandemic or not, so I mostly "need" every day clothes.
 
3) Fun flats
I've had this on spring AND fall lists for awhile but haven't fulfilled it yet.  I'm thinking maybe a coral or blue or something.  I haven't found many promising options yet. 
 
4) 2ish Long Sleeved Tees
I wear these a lot in the fall and spring, under my utility jackets or puffer vests (are those still a thing?  Because I have 3 in my closet that I still like).  Already bought these in my ThredUp order and worn one already. (I make my rules for how I count this list!)

5) Another pair of skinny jeans
I would appreciate another pair in the winter maybe.  Although I said this last fall, never bought one, and survived the winter just fine.
 
6) Repair/Replace my Boots
I've had my cognac riding boots for 5 winters and the soles are starting to fall apart.  I need to take them to a shoe repair store (I have it on the schedule for next week) to see if they are fixable.  I really hope so.  Seems like a waste to get rid of them and fixing them should also be cheaper than replacing??  Fingers crossed.  If they can't be fixed I probably need to start looking into replacing them.  
 
That's it!  I'm often tripped up by Black Friday shopping although some years I've gone that whole weekend without buying any clothes so we'll see!  We'll probably be home even more than usual this winter so I'm not sure how that will translate to my clothes buying, sometimes something new is nice to have!

Spring 2020

Fall 2019
Spring 2019

Fall 2018
Spring 2018

Fall 2017
Spring 2017

Fall 2016
Spring 2016

No comments: