Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Clothes Shopping List - Fall 2021/Winter 2022

These lists started 5 years ago when I was being over influenced by shopping blogs and maybe also still trying to fill a lot of holes in my closet and therefore I was buying A LOT more clothes.  I love few things in the way that I love using the internet/my blog for accountability and thus starting making shopping plans.  Knowing I would be publicly holding myself accountable to those lists really helped me reign in my shopping (although we've been doing our allowance system longer than I've been doing these lists and so my spending (after returns) was always within that). 

In the beginning there was a lot of filling out my wardrobe and giving myself more options for mixing and matching (Audrey at Putting Me Together taught me a lot).  Now I think I've reached a point where my wardrobe feels pretty comfortable - I've weeded out what doesn't work and what I never wore, I can dress up for church and slightly for work but plenty of options for days where we're just doing the school runs and errands.  Quarantine DEFINITELY made my wardrobe A LOT more casual.  More hoodies and t-shirts and my cut-offs or distressed jeans with my converse or flip-flops.  And I have no regrets about that.  When I'm just at home with Sam and then doing homework with Luke, I just want to be comfortable!  

So, these lists have helped me a lot, helped me be more thoughtful about what holes might still exist in my closet and what things I might want/need to add.  This year I even spent a larger amount on "entertainment" (books, mainly) than I did on clothes which is a big change from prior years!  It's nice to feel like I have the right clothes for my life!  

Checking up on how I did with my summer list:

Spring/Summer 2021 Plan

1) Two-ish Tank Tops
I bought exactly two of these, both swing tanks from Old Navy which have been very reliable for me over the years!  (I returned the peachy one in my original post...didn't work with my hair.) They aren't on the site anymore but I'll for sure be looking for a few more next summer.  Also, I never wear them fully tucked in and I don't own khaki shorts (or pants, to be honest).

 
2) Two-ish short sleeved shirts
Bought one of these, from Nordstrom and I really like it!  Would recommend if you are in the market for a nice short sleeved shirt (they are on sale cheaper than I bought mine during their big sale a few weeks ago!)

3) Sunglasses
I bought these in the time between starting and finishing this post after my 3½ year old pair from the CVS (or Walgreens) at the bottom of the Empire State Building started breaking too often.  Sam had A LOT of opinions on which pair I should get. 
 
4) Sandals with a strap between the toes
Bought one pair of these, wore them a lot when I was looking for something slightly dressier than flip-flops (which, again, means church or work or some dates).

5) A Dress
Bought one of these from J.Crew Factory and it is the fastest I was ever influenced.  Putting Me Together posted about it and I bought it within 16 hours.  And then wore it a lot, including when we went out to dinner on our overnight downtown in July!
 
IN THE MOST SHOCKING NEWS...those are the only items I bought all summer (other than new sports bras for running that don't count for this and a new pair of underwear which I also don't count, undergarments and socks get a pass.)
 
Fall 2021/Winter 2022 Plan
1) 2-ish Sweaters
I buy a new sweater or two every winter to add to my collection, to put in rotation with the ones I've had for awhile.  They are pretty much what I wear on top every time I leave my house for anything nicer than a school run so pretty crucial to my winter wardrobe.
 
2) A Jacket
I've been thinking about this purchase for awhile and am seeing more of a need for it.  I bought a warm winter coat last year that I really like and then I have my two utility jackets for not as cold days but I'd like a jacket with a hood and maybe covers my bum for the in-between days.  Like the 40°-50° days.  Also, rain.  I pulled out my winter coat (with the hood) for a field trip last month already (it was raining and 50° and we were on a boat on the river) and I was perfectly comfortable but there are times I don't need my down coat but more than a jacket.  I dedicated to few things like I am to staying warm.
 
3) Two t-shirts    
I'd specifically like a plain green one, if I can find the right shade of green (it seems to be an especially difficult color to photograph well).  I had one the perfect shade of green a few years ago but it didn't fit well, at least I am assuming that is why I got rid of it.  

Second, I'd like one more short sleeved striped tee, probably in the blues, definitely not black because I rarely wear black stripes with blue jeans (you do not have to agree with my weird color quirks).  This time of year I often wear striped tees with jeans, often with a utility jacket, and I could use another options. 
 
4) A Pair of Jeans
I said this a few times in the past but then realized I could just wear a pair I had in my cupboard already.  But now I'm thinking of something slightly different than my beloved skinnies.  I'm not sure yet, need to keep an eye on sales!
 
5) Metallic Flats
Maybe??  My only pair of "flats" are a black pair, mostly for church, but maybe another more fun pair?  I mostly wear either my Converse sneakers or heeled booties but maybe something in between?  Thinking about this one.  I'd most prefer rose gold ones at a not outrageous price (let's be honest, at a Target price, some day I'll treat my poor feet nicer).

6) Long Grey Cardigan
This is an item I have tried MANY times over the years and have never been satisfied with what I've found.  I like seeing them on other people but I always feel like they are so shapeless on me.  But it might expand my styling options of other clothes I already own so I am thinking about it.  Basically, I am putting it on this list so I don't have to count it as an extra item if I buy one.

CAN I KEEP MY SHOPPING TO 8-ISH ITEMS???  I did from my summer list and one of those was technically in October.  I DO have 3 Target items I need to try on upstairs and 4 more that are shipping/about to be shipped so...it's not looking good.  But, I am also VERY FAMILIAR with  the Target return counter (just did some this morning!) so there is a chance all 7 of those items could be going back.  WE WILL SEE.  

Spring 2021

No comments: