Thursday, May 20, 2021

Clothes Shopping List - Spring/Summer 2021

Maybe it's a product of having two kids (which we've had for over three years...) but I spend a lot less time thinking about my clothes buying than I used to.  I prefer to think of it as I did a good job building my wardrobe and it only needs some tweaks for now.  But I also seem to have less time, even with one kid currently at school and the other asleep (amazing).  

I didn't do much shopping over the winter which is good and I always had plenty of clothes to wear.  I think the weakest part of my wardrobe is short sleeved shirts that are nicer than a standard t-shirt which is what I typically wear around the house (like at this exact moment) or to run errands.  But sometimes I want a step up from that.  Like at 8pm on Holy Saturday when I realized Luke's wardrobe mostly consists of Star Wars shirts and school uniforms with little in between.  Meaning, not many Easter options (Star Wars just doesn't say "Easter!" to me.)  So I had a lot more work to do on his wardrobe than I did on my own!

First, let's check with how I did on my fall shopping list:

1) Green Hoodie
Matt technically bought this for me for a belated birthday present when the t-shirt I had requested and he ordered then got canceled (it was a UD shirt and he then got me one for Christmas).  I wore this a lot, including on Christmas Day at home!

2) 2(ish) Sweaters
I bought EXACTLY two.  The green one from Gap that I wore a lot in December (and St. Patrick's Day) and the grey one from Nordstrom which I wore when I wasn't wearing the green one (I pretty much wore those two sweaters for out of the house things all winter.  I wore my green hoodie when at home.)  (Apologies for the very pixelated picture, it's the best I could get.)

3) Fun flats
I have had this on my list for so many years and have yet to find a pair I like enough to keep.  But I also wear flats much less than I used to, I usually wear my Converse for casual days and my wedges for church or work.  And my riding boots and booties in the colder months.
 
4) 2ish Long Sleeved Tees
I bought the two seen above from ThredUp before I even made the list last fall.  And wore them many times!

5) Another pair of skinny jeans
Here's the thing.  I HAD an extra pair of skinny jeans in my cupboard, a second pair of one that I already owned and really liked.  I realized I didn't need to save this extra pair for when the first wore out, I could use both now.  So the newer, less faded pair, is for work and Saturday night Mass and dates and such.  The more faded and broken in pair is for days when I am just doing the school run or grocery run or library or whatever.  It works and was FREE.
 
6) Repair/Replace my Boots
I DID do this!  Cost $45 to get them resoled and polished but it's way cheaper and much greener than buying a whole new pair!  Hoping I can get a few more years out of them!

EXTRAS
I did buy a new winter coat as I talked about here but I did get rid of my previous winter coat so that's a direct replacement item I don't need to count.  I do not count socks/bras/underwear because I am cheap enough that I only buy those when they are necessities.  SO, that leaves ONE item I bought off the list which, I believe, is a new record for me.  

I bought a headband from Rifle Paper Co.  I know, a headband from a paper company.  My sister helped me get to free shipping and it's very cute.  It arrived the day we got ~4 inches of snow in late April.  

Spring/Summer 2021 Plan
1) Two-ish Tank Tops
True to form, I have already bought these although they are currently in my closet waiting for me to try them on and I haven't worn them yet.  I'm not sure the pink-ish one will work with my hair (I'm very particular about colors I think work with my hair.) I bought one of these styles from Old Navy last summer and wore it a lot so it seemed a safe bet for this summer.  
 
2) Two-ish short sleeved shirts
I prefer crew neck because I want to be able to bend over to play with/help my kids without flashing people or having to hold my shirt back.  So I'd like shirts with something else to make them "interesting" but I don't really know what that might be (I've accumulated quite a few shirts with the mock tie or tuck in them).  I have been dressing more casually since I got in the habit of it while in quarantine so there aren't a ton of times I'd like to be wearing something more than a normal, very loose fit t-shirt.  And when it's hot hot I have a decent selection of tank tops (see above).  Right now is when I'd probably wear short sleeved t-shirts the most! 

3) Sunglasses
I still really miss my last pair of sunglasses which broke on our trip to New York 3 years ago.  The ones I wear now I bought at a CVS or Walgreens in the bottom of the Empire State Building because I didn't want to spend even the tiniest bit of time outside without sunglasses, even though it was overcast most of that trip.  They are fine and I've had them 3+ years now.  I really just want an exact copy of my last pair but that seems incredibly unlikely.  Target, please stock the things I like forever!
 
4) Sandals with a strap between the toes
I've realized that the easiest sandals for me to walk in are ones with a strap between the big and next toe.  That's flip-flops (currently next to my feet) and a pair of gold sandals that I had ~4 years ago but then the gold was wearing off and I bought a replacement but I still wear the pair that is peeling because they are more comfortable.  AND another favorite pair which is holding up except some of the elastic on the back of the foot, I am toying with figuring out how to replace the elastic myself, I think I could do it and I really like those sandals too.  But still, maybe a pair that isn't falling apart. Also, maybe I should branch out from Target for my sandals.

5) A Dress
I thought I was going to buy a new dress for Luke's 1st Communion.  Then I didn't (I wore the dress I called my butterfly dress here with these wedges I've had for YEARS and love.).  So now I am thinking of a new summer sundress.  Mainly for summer Mass.  I haven't bought a casual dress in a few years!
 
 
That's honestly all I could think of to buy.  Decent chance I'll find a few more things but I've been doing pretty well with keeping my "extra" items low so who knows!  Maybe I just have the right mix of clothes in my closet for this stage of my life!  That's a good feeling.

No comments: